BBC Media Action uses various forms of media and communications to tackle poverty and contribute to long-term change in some of the world’s poorest places. To achieve this, we partner with civil society, local media and governments to:
- produce creative programmes in multi-media formats which inform and engage audiences; and
- strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
BBC Media Action in Bangladesh uses media and communications to improve family health, enable people to hold their leaders to account and to help people improve their economic security and preparedness for disaster. We are currently focusing on strengthening capacity of Bangladeshi media for producing free, independent public interest media content and providing fora for constructive public debate, both offline and online. We also create content for television, radio and social media to improve sexual, maternal and child health and reduce gender-based violence and child marriage, with a particular focus on young people and adolescents. We support humanitarian and media partners to improve the way communications is used in disasters.
At a time of transition for our work in Bangladesh, and in anticipation of a growth in our development project portfolio over the coming months, we are seeking a proactive Senior Project Manager to ensure solid delivery of existing commitments, to lead the inception phase of new projects and to secure new business for the country office. Reporting to the Country Director, the Senior Project Manager will be responsible for the overall management and delivery of all projects run from the Dhaka office in Bangladesh.
- Ensure that the BBC Media Action projects in Bangladesh are delivered on time, on budget, to high standards and according to donor commitments in consultation with the editorial team, the research team and finance.
- Support the creative development, editorial direction and production management of multimedia outputs, working closely with production staff to ensure they are produced in an integrated and coherent manner, ensuring high editorial and production standards and the most efficient use of resources.
- Ensure that the specific development objectives of the projects, as defined in project design and theory of change and informed by research findings, are fully reflected in the broadcast outputs.
- Develop and manage effective relationships with donors, stakeholders and partners, as well as with advisors and other staff in BBC Media Action headquarters and the wider BBC.
- Work alongside other members of the in-country senior management team to define and drive forward approaches in key, cross-cutting areas, including gender, youth and digital.
- Contribute to the development of new business for BBC Media Action in Bangladesh through building relationships with donors and other stakeholders, as well as developing and writing proposals.
- Develop, manage and forecast project budgets, and complete timely financial and narrative reporting for internal and donor use.
- Understand and comply with the Safeguarding policy and the staff Code of Conduct.
- Build capacity and support staff and partner development, working with the CD and other SMT members to deliver relevant training to staff, freelancers and partners.
- Factor security, safety, compliance and safeguarding issues into project design and include costs within budgets.
Bachelors’ degree in a relevant field (international development, humanitarian, broadcasting or communications, or another relevant subject).
- At least 5 years
- Considerable experience in developing and managing complex projects, ideally in the development sector.
- Considerable experience of working in the development or media sectors, preferably both.
- Demonstrable understanding and commitment to international development, including the use of media for developmental goals.
- Significant experience in the effective management of diverse teams, including personnel development and capability management.
- Strong financial management skills, including experience of managing large budgets and knowledge of the reporting requirements of funders.
- Proven ability to develop and secure new business, including the ability to develop new business ideas and present these persuasively to potential partners and funders, and write successful proposals.
- A confident public speaker with experience of presentations to colleagues, donors and stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiating and diplomatic skills.
- Understanding of BBC editorial values and demonstrable potential to acquire strong media editorial skills in order to make sensitive editorial judgements at a senior level.
- Specialist experience working in one of BBC Media Action’s key thematic areas: health (particularly maternal/child health, sexual and reproductive health or nutrition), resilience (particularly economic development, climate adaptation or disaster preparedness) or governance (particularly social and political inclusion, accountability or freedom of expression).
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
- The role is a full-time fixed-term contract for 12 months initially with a strong possibility of renewal, subject to funding.
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience in managing a portfolio of multiple, simultaneous complex projects.
- Specialist experience in supporting the development of media organisations.
- Experience of using media for development purposes.
- Experience working with research aimed at informing program action by building rigorous, high-quality evidence.